27.5.10

The New Puritans; Same As The Old 'Uns

Leg-iron talks on the lasting legacy of the new puritanicism (Puritanism? - Ed). There is the usual mixed bag of hope and despair tinged with his usual pragmatism and well worth the read; nothing will arm you against the righteous in society like the Underdog.

As a born again Christian with a mixed scriptural education from many different types of church (for we are not all the same) I have been accused and assumed to have quite illiberal views on the use of drugs, and in truth known individuals who exhibited this neo-Calvinistic behviour. Fair enough.

Myself? I try (and fail often) to live by Paul's words to the Phillipians (emphasis mine):

(12) Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. (13) For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.


I don't have to like something to support someones right to do it; I have met Christians who believe just because they are right gives them a stake in others lives.

When I meet these people I point out this concept to them; Leg-iron has captured this idea in a practical example; that man tends towards self destruction, but at least tries to enjoy it along the way.

To believe that we can be united in our dislike of an act is to live a poor life; I'll stick with a life less ordinary, doing and being with people I love and mutually benefit in knowing.



No comments: